Certain owner-occupied residences could qualify for a preferential assessed value for an eight-year period of time if:
- The residence is a historic building meaning an owner-occupied single-family residence or an owner-occupied multi-family residence and the tract, lot or parcel upon which it is located, if:
- Individually listed on the National Register of Historic places or the Illinois Register of Historic Places
- Individually designated pursuant to an approved county or municipal landmark ordinance or
- Within a district listed on the National Register of Historic Places or designated pursuant to an approved county or municipal landmark ordinance
- The residence is under substantial rehabilitation meaning interior or exterior rehabilitation work that preserves the historic building in a manner that significantly improves its condition.
For more information regarding the Historic Property Exemption, call the State Historic Preservation Agency at 217-782-8168.