- A Through C
- Assessment Office
- Property Tax Relief
- Disabled Persons Exemption
Disabled Persons Exemption
Under this program, $2,000 of the equalized assessed value of a home owned by a qualifying disabled person is exempt from property taxes.
To qualify for this exemption, you must:
- Own and occupy the property as of January 1st of the assessment year
- Be disabled or become disabled during the assessment year, and you cannot participate in any substantial gainful activity by reason of a medically determinable physical or mental impairment
Documentation must include one of the following:
- A class 2 or 2-A Illinois Person with a Disability Identification Card from the IL Secretary of State's Office.
- Proof of Social Security Administration disability benefits. Must be an award letter, or verification letter, or annual cost of living adjustment (COLA). To obtain proof of Social Security Administration disability benefits, use the following steps:
- Go to the Social Security Administration website.
- Select "Services for People Currently Receiving Benefits"
- Select "Requesting Proof of Income Letter" and select the "Start" button at the bottom of the screen.
- Select the "I Agree" button to the terms.
- Enter the requested information and select the "Continue" button.
- The user will need to identify the requested type of benefit or the user can select to receive all benefit information available and Social Security will send a letter to the requestor.
- If the individual cannot get the verification online, they can call Social Security at 800-772-1213 Monday through Friday between 7 am and 7 pm to request a verification letter.
- Proof of Veteran's Administration disability benefits. Must be an award letter of 100% disability, or pension statement, or statement showing compensation rated at 100%.
- Proof of Railroad or Civil Service disability benefits. Must be an award letter of 100% disability benefits.
- If none of the above items can be produced, then the applicant will have to submit a form PTAX-343-A Physician's Statement (PDF), in addition to the PTAX-343 Persons with a Disability Application (PDF)
Apply for the exemption at the Chief County Assessors Office, or download the application:
Note: This exemption must be renewed each year.