Seven Steps to Appeal
- Obtain the assessed valuation of your property.
- Determine the fair market value for your property.
- Discuss the assessment with your assessor.
- Determine the basis for your formal appeal.
- File a written appeal with your Board of Review.
- Present evidence of unfair assessment to the Board of Review at the hearing.
- Appeal the Board of Review's decision to the State Property Tax Appeal Board (in writing) in the event of an unsatisfactory decision by the Board of Review.
Note: The seven steps listed above do not pertain to Farm Land and Farm Buildings. For this information, please contact your local assessing officials.
For a detailed explanation on how to file a complaint, view the Board of Review Rules (PDF).