Rock Island County has joined efforts with officials from the cities of East Moline, Moline and Rock Island to build a new Animal Shelter. The new shelter, located at the intersection of Route 150 and Indian Bluff Road (78th Ave), near the Quad City Airport opened in January 2006.
The new shelter is a state of the art facility, offering nearly 100 indoor/outdoor dog runs and an open, cage less cat adoption room. In addition there is a medical suite for surgery, clinic and isolation procedures. Function and economics were top considerations in the design of the shelter in order to create a facility that would be both efficient and cost effective. A major element of the facility is a new Geo-thermal heating system which offers a far superior alternative to gas furnaces and air. The new location offers easy access to the community, is open seven (7) days a week, and provides a home for the thousands of animals that will be entrusted to our care. This is the first and only full service Animal Care & Control facility in the Illinois Quad Cities.
If you have any questions regarding Rock Island County Animal Care & Control, please contact Sam at our Animal Care & Control office at (309) 558-DOGS (3647).
To uphold and enforce, as required by State Statute, the Illinois Animal Control Act, Humane Care for Animals Act, Animal Welfare Act, and local ordinances.
To protect the welfare, health and safety of pets and people and promote responsible pet ownership.
To be progressive in the animal welfare field by providing quality care to the animals; an aggressive spay and neuter program; and striving for placement of all adoptable pets where euthanasia is performed as a last resort.
Responsible for animal related public safety, our mission is achieved through shared values including professionalism, responsibility, compassion, commitment, integrity, and community partnerships.
We value the integrity of each employee, volunteer and partner contributing to the professional care and humane treatment of animals in an atmosphere built on our trust and respect for one another.
We envision the day when every pet born will be assured a quality home during its natural lifetime and will not suffer due to abuse, neglect or ignorance.
- United Animal Control functions for Moline, Rock Island, East Moline, and all of Rock Island County.
- State of the art 12,000 square foot shelter.
- 87 indoor/outdoor dog runs.
- Open communal cat adoption room.
- Medical suite, providing exams, vaccinations, blood test and spay/neuter surgeries.
- Isolation rooms to quarantine sick animals.
- Separate dog pavilions for incoming and adoptable dogs.
- Multi-purpose room for meetings, education classes, waiting room and programs.
- Enclosed center court yard for interaction and exercise of the dogs.
- State of the art Geo-Thermal heating/cooling system.
- Sub-station for Rock Island County Sheriffs deputies.
- On site crematory.
- T-1 phone/data system linked to the county for internet access/county access.
- On site laundry facilities.
- Employee break room and locker room.
- Get acquainted areas for interaction with dogs and cats.
- Full adoption services of pets.
- Only complete full service animal shelter in Rock Island County servicing all animal welfare related needs.
- Open seven days a week.