What court date should I set?

When you file your suit, the clerk will provide you with the pre-trial date. If at pre-trial, the claim is contested, the case will be set for trial at a later date. Once a trial date is scheduled it may only be continued by a judge or if it is settled, a dismissal will remove it from the schedule. If the defendant does not appear, it may be that he/she was not served with the complaint and summons.

If this is the case, then you must prepare an Alias Summons and in most cases, it will then be necessary to have the Sheriff serve the Alias Summons. An Alias Summons will cost $5.00. The plaintiff and/or the plaintiff's attorney must always appear on the summons return date, regardless of whether or not service has been made. (Failure to appear may result in the case being dismissed for want of prosecution).

Show All Answers

1. Can corporations sue, or be sued, and how do they defend themselves?
2. How do you file a Small Claims Complaint?
3. How do you respond to a small claims complaint?
4. What court date should I set?
5. What do I do before the trial?
6. What happens after the judgment is collected?
7. What happens after the trial?
8. What happens at the trial?
9. What happens if the case is settled before the court date?
10. What happens if the defendant does not pay the judgment?
11. What if the defendant (the person you are suing) is a corporation?
12. What is Small Claims Court?
13. Where do I file the complaint?
14. Where do I get the forms I need to file a Small Claims Complaint?
15. Where is it located?
16. Who can use Small Claims Court?