How do you file a Small Claims Complaint?

If you file a Small Claims suit, you are called the plaintiff. If you have been sued in the Small Claims Court, you are called the defendant. In order to begin a Small Claims action, you must file a complaint with the Clerk of the Circuit Court. The complaint is a form which explains who you are suing, where the person lives, how much money they owe you and why they owe you the money. The complaint is signed by the plaintiff and the statement is sworn to before a notary public or Clerk of the Court. You must list the defendant's exact name and address. The Clerk is not able to help you find that out.

Show All Answers

1. Can corporations sue, or be sued, and how do they defend themselves?
2. How do you file a Small Claims Complaint?
3. How do you respond to a small claims complaint?
4. What court date should I set?
5. What do I do before the trial?
6. What happens after the judgment is collected?
7. What happens after the trial?
8. What happens at the trial?
9. What happens if the case is settled before the court date?
10. What happens if the defendant does not pay the judgment?
11. What if the defendant (the person you are suing) is a corporation?
12. What is Small Claims Court?
13. Where do I file the complaint?
14. Where do I get the forms I need to file a Small Claims Complaint?
15. Where is it located?
16. Who can use Small Claims Court?